Ford House lagoon and pool restoration complete

Ford House staff and architects have finished restoring the swimming pool, lagoon and surrounding landscape of the Edsel and Eleanor Ford’s historic estate.

The 87-acre estate located in Grosse Pointe Shores was named a National Historic Landmark in 2016, and was originally designed and constructed in the late 1920s. The Ford family started living on the property in 1928, and the Ford House opened its doors to visitors in 1978. This project restored the entire southeast corner of the estate to how it was originally imagined, and the newly finished area will be open to visitors after Aug. 1.  

The project is one of the most extensive Ford House renovations to date, with architects from Detroit-based Albert Kahn Associates. Its founder, Albert Kahn, was part of the team that designed the home almost a century ago, working with the Ford family and landscape architect Jens Jensen.