You may own a commercial property with a parking lot on it or perhaps just a very simple residence containing a driveway. If this is the case, it is a must to apply asphalt paving to improve its overall structure.
What is asphalt paving?
Asphalt is a sustainable and the most versatile material used to surface roadways, driveways, parking lots and other construction projects. It is composed of sand, stone, gravel, and liquid (petroleum) asphalt.
Pavement is a superficial covering or a hardscape used to keep the ground surface at its very best performance and appearance. Asphalt paving is one of the most economical solutions for paving any driving surfaces.
All asphalt is not the same. It can be made in many different ways. Depending upon how it’s made determines the quality of the material, thus it’s important that you ask for or specify a quality designed mix when dealing with your paver or contractor.
Asphalt costs vary depending on your geographical location. On average, it will be between $4 to $8 per square foot. Proper maintenance such as regular sealcoating and resurfacing are the key to ensuring longevity with asphalt surfaces.
After your initial installation happens, about every 3 years, you should expect to do a resurfacing. For a long period of time, it’s going to develop cracks and you have to apply a rubberized compound to stop the cracks from spreading and spidering throughout the surface. In addition, asphalt naturally contains oils and is black when healthy. Over time, exposure to the environment and daily wear and tear causes it to oxidize, become gray and get certain damages. You can prevent these damages by sealing the driveway.
To replace an existing pavement, the following steps must be executed to ensure a smooth, seamless process;
- Prepare the ground for grading.
- Constructing the base and sub-base to support the weight of the pavement.
- Apply courses of asphalt and make sure they are rolled and compacted.
- Ensure that there is no improper drainage.
Asphalt is generally preferred by many consumers in various applications such as paving and finishing due to their many advantages. These include the following;
- Asphalt is a durable, resilient and affordable servicing option that can be installed quickly. With proper maintenance, asphalt surfaces can last 20 to 25 year on average.
- It’s essential to protect your pavement from any damage and to save money from doing repairs which may include total replacement of the surface. Asphalt paving can protect the overall pavement from the harsh effects of the environment and the activities of the people.
- Paving your surface is indeed necessary to maintain the good condition of your pavement and to make it last for long.
- It’s cost-effective. If the driveway is already asphalt, 9 times out of 10 it can be resurfaced, unlike concrete that requires complete removal.
Using asphalt service thus makes the process of maintaining commercial properties relatively easy and cost-effective. In the residential areas, the use of asphalt improves the overall safety of the home. For commercial areas, it provides a safe base and quiet pavement.